Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Positive thoughts, positive results

Well, yesterday was a very good day- and one of those days that makes you truly believei n destiny.

I spent five hours building a prop for my acting scene the night before. I prefer to build my props so that hey give me more behavior for my character (in terms of my acting) and it is fun and inspires further creativity. So I built a giant ferris wheel out of 120 colored popsickle sticks and hot glue.



source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEibnl2vC8Qcl5hCzjXQ3YAwe2OA1gHboukDkRkUHzLHweEfj-m-MsFEj6-ZGQkHOA31korGt1uBG1FVV-Bta08sJkMNUWmAcmlxO73Mv0Ju5RgBsgPIuqQCamzN6WgZSuMDRES_IYdbgxU/s1600/ferris_wheel_img_1048.jpg

I was on the 1 train when a lady commented on the ferris wheel that I constructed. I thanked her for the compliment and continued to focus on the day ahead. But, she continued to express her interest with the ingenuity of the ferris wheel and my overall creativity. That lady just so happens to be a graduate professor of psychology at my school, Fordham. We exchanged information and she said she will forward my information (I sent her my headshot and resume) to a friend of hers who is a formally trained actress, is writing her dissertation on improvisation (which I am trained in) and has some sort of key role with an improvisation group- the world works in mysterious ways, or does it- when you send positive thoughts into the universe, you receive positive results. Oh, and the lady on train, the doctor of psychology told me that a creative person like me belongs pursuing an artistic career and doesn't belong in law school- I felt as if she was reading my mind or at least my positive thoughts were materializing.

Then, in acting class, a fellow student commented on my ferris wheel- he asked how long it took me to construct. When I stated that the ferris wheel took five hours to construct another student asked me, "why," meaning why would I spend so much time constructing a prop for acting class. The next thing I heard was my teacher responded to her question with one word, "commitment." That was a nice thing to hear!

In reference to my scene the teacher said I did "really good" which is also great to hear! There were messups with the delivery of some lines, but that is to be expected when you are working on your feet with the scene for the first time. He said we merely need to pick up the pace of the delivery so that the scene doesn't bog down, but he liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment